Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Furry Jerks

I love animals.  I'll take 99% of the cats or dogs I've ever met over 99% of the people I've ever met.  I can watch movies where violence is perpetrated against people non-stop and not even blink an eye.  Even little kids.  Kill the little buggers, I don't care.  But when an animal is harmed it pisses me off.

That said, there are certain individual animals out there that are jerks.  I had a friend when I was a kid that had a cat that was the unfriendliest critter you could ever meet.  It seemed to particularly not like me for some reason.  If I came even remotely near it, it would hiss and growl at me. One time my friend's family was out of town and I was coming over to feed the cat.  As soon as I opened the door it ran up and bit my ankle hard enough to draw blood and then ran off to growl at me from a corner.  I'm sorry but that cat was just kind of a dick.

I had another friend when I was older that had a dog that wasn't so much of a jerk as he was just really, really annoying.  He was pretty big and extremely hyper and would not leave you alone when you came over.  And by that I mean he would jump all over you, constantly flail his paws in your face and try to bite you for like four hours straight.  His owner would impotently tell him "No!" or "Down!" all of which this dog completely ignored.  It was impossible to relax over there because wrestling a big hyper dog for several hours is exhausting.  It got to the point where I never wanted to go over to this friend's house because of the dog.  Yeah, I know he was young and needed training, but I just wasn't very fond of that particular dog.

What I'm getting at is, even as an animal lover, it's okay to not like an individual animal on a personal level.  Some of them are kind of assholes.  In much lower numbers than people are, for sure, but still.  

No comments:

Post a Comment