Sunday, September 15, 2013
The Meaning of Life
So I'm formulating this new theory about the purpose of life on Earth. Now specifically I'm talking about humanity here. I think that the Earth is some kind of cosmic experiment in which the subjects (humans) are being observed in an ongoing struggle. The question is whether our collective intelligence can overcome our collective stupidity. I'd say it's about a draw so far, but I fear our stupidity is going to kill us all off faster than our intelligence can save us. We're capable of amazing feats of science and technology but then I look around and goddamn are people dumb. And we use the amazing science and technology to poison our world and kill each other and broadcast mind-numbingly stupid messages in the form of popular culture. While simultaneously we're curing diseases and peering further into the universe than ever before and also creating other pop culture that is some of the finest ever. I don't know... I'd like to believe intelligence is going to win out, but the cynic in me tends to focus on the abundance of dumb shit we do. And stupid people really do seem to breed more, although they also probably kill themselves off more frequently and at younger ages.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment