I know music taste is subjective and whatnot, but let's be honest here. Today's popular music is horrendous. I realize I'm old and crotchety and it's aimed at kids, but these kids are developing super crappy taste in music because they're being force fed crap. Not only is it played on the radio and featured on tv, but it's reinforced by getting good reviews in major media outlets. I was reading Entertainment Weekly recently and they gave a Miley Cyrus album an A rating. This is following a long line of positive reviews to the likes of Justin Bieber, Lady Gaga and all that nonsense. Really Entertainment Weekly? This is what you're trying to pass off as quality music? As high art? You're saying these "artists" are carrying on the legacy of the Beatles, Bob Dylan, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin among others? I understand this crap is popular and people want to read about it, but a major part of the reason it's popular is because media outlets keep spotlighting it and giving it a pass. And thus more people get inspired to make the same sort of vacuous garbage. Anyone actually trying to do anything worthwhile is basically doomed to complete obscurity.
I refuse to buy into this narrative that this stuff actually has any artistic merit. Let's call it what it actually is: bullshit for twelve year old girls and let's shine a spotlight on actual quality music for adventurous adult listeners. All right?
No comments:
Post a Comment