Friday, July 12, 2013

Don't Be a Dick When You're Jaywalking

Jaywalking is a crime.  A horrible offense against society.  I mean, goodness gracious, jaywalkers should be thrown in prison with all the murderers, rapists and other hardened criminals.

But for reals, we've all jaywalked at one time or another, right?  Sometimes you've just gotta get across the street and there are no crosswalks anywhere nearby.  So ideally you wait until there are no cars coming and you cross the road.  Sometimes it's a really busy street and there's not much chance of no cars so you have to kind of wait for a decent little break in the traffic and go for it.  Believe me, I understand. I've been there. But here's the thing.  If you should find yourself in that situation you damn well better hurry your ass across the road.

As a driver there are few things more irritating than someone taking their sweet time as they jaywalk in front of you.  If I have to slow down for someone crossing the street and they're not in a crosswalk and they don't even put on a pretense of hurrying up, well... that is some not cool jive ass turkey right there.

I also hate when you're driving and you can see them standing on the side of the road and they decide to start walking out into the street just as you're beginning to drive past them. They don't wait for you to actually pass, they just start strolling on out while you're still approaching.  You either instinctively try to swerve or slam the brakes, which could cause an accident with another vehicle, or you just keep on going and leave it up to fate whether you hit them or not.    

I mean, I'm in a fast moving two ton projectile of metal and you're, for all intents and purposes, a stationary little bag of meat and water.  Have a little respect, for crying out loud.  Or at least a sense of self-preservation.

Don't get me wrong.  I'm all in favor of removing these people from the gene pool.  But I don't really want to get their blood all over my car or have my insurance rates go up.

Just don't be a dick when you're jaywalking and everything will be cool.    

No comments:

Post a Comment